Tuesday, April 26, 2011


Kong.

I like my ‘Donkey Kong’ metaphor so I will continue to roll with it until I think I have abused the saying enough. Yesterday was the GP Liberazione, our sprinter Annalisa Cucinotta managed to take away 5th, which is a solid result after completing 12 fast laps of a 10k pancake flat circuit. My race was ok improvement is certainly needed in the positioning department. Getting myself to the front is one thing, staying there is another world. I did manage to get on the front for a short period and even attack once, but that was it and I found myself back in the ‘ticket collecting’ position at the back. It’s like a race inside a race positioning, all day I found myself sitting in the middle of the peloton and then at the back only to work hard to get to the middle again and then before I knew it I was at the back again. I’m banking on that the more I race the more I will become capable of holding a good position, and have a greater impact on the race.

The ‘Kong’ came for me at 13k. I crashed and was the 5th person to go down in the pile up caused by some nerves in the peloton approaching the finish. I landed quite well and avoided gravel rash to be replaced with bruising and an out of place back. I managed to untangle my bike, and remount to finish the race looking a bit more then displeased as I crossed the finish line.

After the usual shower it was in the car for the 3hour drive home. For some reason time was traveling very slowly and the trip home seemed forever, finally I got to walk through the front door and crash on the couch. Still being revved up by the racing and all the caffeine in my body I couldn’t get to sleep and some serous TV time was going down to fill the gap until 1am when I finally was whisked away by the land of nod.

So what’s next, another National race next weekend. Then a week of low k’s and intensity followed by a good block of training to hunt down some form for the second half of the season. It would be fair to say that my first half of the season hasn’t even touched on my expectations of myself. I hope the second half will be awesome with stomping form to make up for what I have missed earlier this year.

No doubt I will post again later in the week

Thanks for reading
Chat later
Angela 

No comments: