Thursday, April 21, 2011

Not Konging.

The day before the race: Team Presentation. 
Fleche Wallone Round 4 of the World Cup Series. My result DNF. An excuse? Well there is no, just a reason. After 50k I had a mechanical (chain not staying in the big ring) I went back for my first service form a moving car at 50 k/hrs. After rejoning the peloton, the same mechanical occurred. This time I had to dismount and the problem was NOT fixed within 30seconds, which saw the bike race disappear up the road, with me one frustrated Australian speaking broken Italian mixed with English at our Italian mechanic. I remounted my bike in an attempt to rejoin the peloton and make do with a little chain ring. After a couple kilometers playing in the car convoy I was dropped. Soon after a decent size group of girls came up behind me. I managed to make a few friends in my annoyed state that turned to being light hearted after a girl said ‘it’s only a bike race, there is another one next weekend’. With that it mind a few jokes started to be thrown around (it’s amazing how senses of humor can be international) and soon we arrived at the finish line.

The hunt begum for my team through all the team buses and vans along with the supporters crowding the finish area. Soon enough I found a very dejected team waiting for me at the showers. It wasn’t all bad Martina and Tanya managed to finish which was a great effort in itself. I still haven’t overcome the communal shower thing. However with a 8hour car drive ahead I took the option to man up and have a shower with my other competitors, I’m not normally shy but in these situations I’m very much so.
Cherry Beer. 
The car and van were soon loaded and as I type this blog I’m on the way home to Forli. We have already mad our first bit stop at a service station and I picked up a Belgium cherry beer. On my flight to Belgium I meet a lovely girl called Isabel. She told me to try this drink, so I did. It was ok…but I would rather drink Little Creatures…!

So good-bye to Belgium and my next race is a local Italian race. I’m predicting a less intense version of the racing I’ve experienced so far, but not to speak to soon you never know what the Italians could come out with I’m sure it will be on like donkey kong. This time I aim to be konging not the donkey. 
Awesome team.
PS. I wrote this before i knew the car trip was something like 14hrs long! it was crazy from the end of the race till 6am this morning was spent in the car! These Italians are hard-core. I must also mention I have a mighty awesome team who made the trip a lot easier! 

Chat later

Angela 

No comments: