Saturday, May 7, 2011

A mixed bag

This week's photo Gallery:
Slowly learning how to cook.
 Yes I live by myself but I had a good thing going...so continued to cook up and onwards.
The four hour lunch.
 Fresh as a daisy from after the 3hour car drive (Florence).
 The crew taking to the streets: Matteo, Kim, Me.
We are not affrid of the dark.
The kid is alive and well in me.

Happy snap time!

Watching the world go by...

The view at lunch after my four ride in the hills.


Kim and I soaking up the views.
Stole this idea from Dad from the picture he took when he visted Pisa thinking it was smart..then realised everyman and his dog had the same idea
Well as soon as I got my giddy up on with racing the first half of the season was over and a drought of racing for 3 weeks. This lead to many activities taking place to prepare for the second half the season that will hopefully see me feature is some of the hiller races and stage races of the season. However before I get ahead of my self I did say it was 3 weeks till my next race….

So with a week of easy riding on the program saw me jump at the chance to also freshen up the mind to see some new sights of Italy. I was lucky enough to concide this with the arrival of Matteo and Kimmy from Australia.

Our adventures as a mighty trio, or you could look at it as me ‘third wheeling’ the holiday goers started in Matteo’s hometown (the name of it was huge and started with T population 10,000 for those that love random facts). What better way to catch up with your friends over a 4 HOUR lunch cooked by a local chef… at his house, if the food was going to be anything like the house we were in for a treat…needless to say after every dish I was like ‘OMG’. With the tummies full it was onto Venice. I was a little disappointed because there was so many people and it made it hard to really enjoy the city without being pushed and shoved and somebody trying to sell you a fake watch.  I’m not one for the big tourist places, rather destinations that tucked away and that few now about.  Aside from this it didn’t stop the snapping action of the camera and the ‘ooo’ and ‘ahhh’s’ going on as I strolled through the beautiful old city and for those of you playing at home Venice is the city surround by water! Unfortunately I have no photo documentation of this visit because my camera decided to stay at home. However I stole Kim’s camera and will retrieve the photos one day. Much could be commented about this night…but mainly I was smashing the cordials all night…showing Italians the Aussie way of having a mighty swell night….

The next morning saw me fit in a nice easy ride and I don’t know why but at 8am Saturday morning you will never be without cycling company in Italy! I arrived back to Matteo’s three hours later and got my Italian food on again. Then it was of to Florence! I have mastered sleeping in all types of vehicles with varying amounts of space and this journey was no exception. Sleeping most of the way there I woke up ready to explore Florence. This town took more of my liking.

To sum up my time in Florence and the remainder of the trip
-        Lot’s of pizza
-        Went to Siena (my favorite place on this little adventure)
-        Pisa
-        3 solid rides through the hills
-        Memorable lunch on the restaurant’s patio in the hills
-        Biscotti /gelato / waffles/chocolate…all amazing
-        A lot of walking!
-        Some serious back seat sleeping
-        A lot of laughing
-        Shopping
-        Looking at some pretty cool castles and church’s

My little tourist adventure saw me return to Forli with a fresh mind to get stuck into the training. I have been training well and with purpose. Trying to get myself more in the Forli cycling scene I have discovered some good bunches to head out with. I use to love the solo fight of training, but these days I really enjoy training with others, for that extra effort required and of course to have fluent English conversations…

Tomorrow will see me head to my first Grand Fondo the only information I could find on this event in English is below if you want to know the pain I’m in for….


The option was either riding this event tomorrow or spending the day doing uni work any excuse to escape the books I will take, even if it’s extreme…

Chat Later
Ange


No comments: